One of the most common project requests by my daughter almost always involves unicorns or mermaids, so I think this post is long overdue. It’s not an overwhelming recipe, with only 3 batches to make, and definitely fun with all of the shimmer and glitter involved. An instant favorite for any mermaid taking it on!
To get started you will need:
- Clear school glue
- Liquid starch
- Shimmer or pearl powder (we used eye shadow and make up pigment from the 99 cent store but craft stores also sell pearl powders if that’s more convenient)
- Pink, purple, and teal food coloring (we always use the neon food coloring, it delivers brighter results)
- Glitter of different sizes
- Paper plates (optional but convenient)
- Mix 1/4 cup of clear school glue with 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of water in your bowl and mix until there are no more clear streaks
- When glue and water are completely dissolved, add food coloring, glitter, and shimmer and thoroughly mix *We did this in a group today, so we each mixed one color but if you’re making it by yourself just make one color at a time*
- Add 1/4 cup of liquid starch and immediately start mixing in a circular motion until it clumps up in the middle of the bowl
- Remove from the bowl and press back and forth in your hands and stretch and knead until the texture feels nice and smooth
- Repeat this until all 3 colors are complete, and lay the three in stripes on a plate to rest until they begin to melt into each other
- Pick them up and stretch and twist to blend
- Enjoy your mermaid slime!