This one was so much fun to experiment with and resulted in such a unique finished product, with a very sensory texture. Its a bit more time consuming than some of the other recipes because it involves 4 separate color batches, but the multi faceted iridescence when it’s done is so pretty to look at it. This one is well suited for a huge range of ages including teens. You can make ahead for your little ones for some great sensory play, or involve them in it if they have the attention span.
To get started you will need:
- Teal or blue, orange, and purple food coloring
- Light gold or champagne shimmer eye shadow, loose pigment, or pearl pigment. On all these recipes on here using shimmer, I use a cheap make up I find at dollar stores (no need to buy the more expensive stuff at craft stores)
- Heaps of iridescent glitter in multiple sizes and textures.. we used the same iridescent chunky confetti as in the other recipes, fine glitter, and XL iridescent glitter chunks or sequins from any craft store
- Clear school glue
- Liquid starch
- Bowl for mixing
- Paper plates
- Mix 1/4 of a cup of glue and 1/8 cup of water in a bowl and thoroughly mix until you’re unable to see anymore clear streaking in the mixture and the glue is totally dissolved into the water
- Scrape the shimmer make up into the mix, add glitter, and confetti then thoroughly mix. The mixture should be chunky and totally saturated with the confetti flakes and glitter. Add a very small drop of purple food dye, you want just a very faint trace of color. Stir again until everything is nice and blended.
- Add 1/4 cup of liquid starch and immediately begin stirring quickly in circles until it all starts forming in the center of the bowl and around the stick you’re stirring with. Remove and squish back and forth in hands until it starts to form a more cohesive glob in your hands and begin to knead and stretch it until the excess moisture is gone, then allow it to sit for a few moments
- Repeat 2 more times, once with orange, once with blue, and then roll each of them into a ball and place on a plate to melt into each other
- While the 3 of those are resting, repeat all the steps of the slime mix again, but this time with no food coloring, only shimmer and glitter
- When it’s done, lay it onto a plate to rest and flatten it out with your knuckles or fingers to fill up the plate like a big pancake and allow to sit for a few minutes
- Now go back to the first 3 colors of slime, and pull apart into small pieces and lay all across the paper plate it was resting on like a mosaic, don’t worry about order or colors, the more random the better. Then pick up the large flattened out piece, and lay it right on top of all the little bits and use both hands to push it right into the plate
- Let it be for the pieces to melt into each other for a few minutes, then flip it over and enjoy your opal slime!