As a huge lover of lavender and it’s anti-stress properties, I had to try to make a slime that incorporated it, with the hopes that it could possibly calm my little one down too. As for that working, I can’t quite say I’ve noticed if it has, but I think it’s definitely possible it could work as a stress reliever for adults too. Either way, it smells amazing, from the start of making it to playing with it and it’s now in my top 3 of the many versions of slime I’ve created over the years.
To get started you will need:
- Lavender flowers, stems, leaves (I used my own plants but dried or live works, however you buy them is fine if you don’t have plants)
- Lavender essential oil
- Purple food coloring
- Glitter (optional)
- Clear school glue
- Liquid starch
- Bowl for mixing
- Start by taking your lavender flowers, leaves and twigs and finely chopping them up as small as possible and then setting them aside. The leaves hold just as much fragrance as the flowers, so make sure you get them in there too
- Mix 1/4 cup and 1/8 cup of water in the bowl and thoroughly mix until you can’t see anymore clear streaking in the mixture, and add 1-2 drops of the lavender oil, 1-2 drops of purple food coloring and the glitter (if you’re using it) and mix again until evenly blended in.
- Add the liquid starch and immediately start mixing it in fast circles, almost like you’re whisking eggs… the more time in between the starch hitting the solution and the mixing, the more compromised the texture is. It should start to form a clump in the center and look a little stretchy
- Pick it all up and press it back and forth between your hands until some of the moisture starts to dissipate and the texture gets smoother. After it starts to adhere better and feel drier, knead it and stretch it for at least three minutes to ensure all that extra moisture is gone. I prefer to let it sit on a paper plate for another few minutes after that one to make sure it’s dry as possible since we’re adding plant matter.
- Pick it up again and flatten it into a pancake and lay it back down. Now sprinkle all of those beautiful lavender bits all over the slime, and then fold it over itself so that it’s all covered up
- Pick it up and stretch it out, then continue alternating folding it over itself and kneading it like dough until the flowers are evenly distributed in the slime
- Enjoy your soothing lavender sensory slime!